Friday, January 30, 2009

Marsha's Spaghetti

I think a lot of you might have this one, but I thought I'd post it because 1) I made it last night for my in-laws, and 2) it's a staple favorite at our house. It makes a lot for our little fam, so I can usually freeze half of it and get two meals out of one preparation.

2lbs ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 large green pepper, diced
2 cans (15 oz) tomato sauce
2 cans (15 oz) tomato paste
1 can olives, sliced
1 large pkg Spaghetti Sauce Mix (Shillings-family size)
3 cups water
1 can mushrooms
1 Tbl sugar
1 Tbl oregano
1 Tbl garlic salt
1 crumbled bay leaf

Brown beef, onion, and green pepper. Drain. Add sauce, paste, dry mix, & olives. Add water, mushrooms, sugar, oregano, garlic salt, & bay leaf. Simnmer about 2 hours.

MY NOTES: I use 1 lb ground beef instead of 2, I add one can diced tomatoes (or a couple fresh if I have them), I use brown sugar, and I omit the mushrooms (Curtis is not a fan). Lastly, if I am short on time I'll just use a jar of bottled spaghetti sauce as my tomato base and then add all the other stuff.

No comments: