Thursday, December 18, 2008

Crock Pot Taco Soup


I got this recipe off of the internet when Greg and I first got married. We make it at least twice a month. It makes 8 servings, so we can easily have it two days in a row or for lunch the next day. My 15 month old loves it because he can feed himself and it doesn't get too messy if I drain off the liquid.

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, with liquid
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups water
2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix

DIRECTIONS:
In a medium skillet, cook the ground beef until browned over medium heat. Drain.

Place the ground beef, onion, chili beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato sauce, water, diced tomatoes, green chile peppers and taco seasoning mix in a slow cooker. Mix to blend, and cook on low setting for 8 hours or high setting for 6 hours.

Variations: I don't like that much tomato in mine so I only do one can. Sometimes I like it more thick so I leave out the water. You can also add any kind of beans you have on hand and you can use chicken or ground turkey instead of beef. We also like to have cheese and tortilla chips with it.

3 comments:

Alexie said...

Just a Variation note- i l;ove this soup, but I hate kidney beans so i use black beans.

Sarah and Adam said...

We do too. Our friends serve with Fritos instead of regular tortilla chips and we actually thought they worked well since they are smaller!

Emily said...

I tried it and we all really liked it. Except, Greg thought it was supposed to be chili, so he wondered why it was so spicy. Once I cleared that up for him, he also really liked it.