Thursday, June 4, 2009

Our Dinner Tonight

TODAY'S MENU:
Apricot Chicken (source: The Mormon Cookbook) Over Brown Rice
& Waldorf Salad (Betty Crocker Cookbook)

Amazing Apricot Chicken
*Notes: This was SUPER easy and I was able to make my salad while the chicken sat in the oven and the rice sat in the rice cooker. I halved the recipe because I didn't need 8 servings, and I cut my chicken breasts though the middle, then down the middle, to make them thinner and faster to cook. Oh, and Abby even ate it!


8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (8 oz) bottle Russian dressing
1 cup apricot jam
1 package dry onion soup mix

Place chicken in greased 9x13 baking pan. combine dressing, jam, and onion soup mix and pour over chicken. bake uncovered at 350 for 1 hour (I did mine in 45 minutes). Makes 8 servings.


Waldorf Salad
*Notes: So this one i played with a little. I didn't care for the strong mayo taste so I added just a squirt of a favorite salad dressing. Then I remembered reading Pioneer Woman's' favorite chicken salad recipe which had apples and she added dill weed, so I threw in a dash and a half. So my suggestion is to play with the flavor. I had iceberg lettuce, but I think it would be great over spinach or a fuller lettuce.


1/2 c mayo or salad dressing
1 T lemon juice
1 T milk
2 medium unpeeled eating apples, cut
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/3 c coarsely chopped nuts
Salad Greens
Optional: Can add a handful of blueberries, pears, cherries, or other favorite fruit for color and flavor.


Mix mayo, lemon, and milk in medium bowl. Stir in apples, celery, and nuts. Serve on salad greens. Store remaining salad covered in fridge.

1 comment:

Jessie's Joy in Her Journey said...

looks so good! We'll have to give it a try.